Red Prince® Apple, Roasted Beet And Fennel Salad
2 Red Prince® Apples, thinly sliced
4 Red Beets, medium-sized
4 Golden Beets, medium-sized
1 Fennel Bulb, sliced in half, cored, and thinly sliced
2 cups Baby Arugula, rinsed
1 cup Fresh Basil, rinsed, and leaves stripped
1 cup Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley, rinsed, and leaves stripped
1 cup Fresh Mint, rinsed, and leaves stripped
1 Lemon, zested and juiced
1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for roasting beets
2 tbsp Stone Ground Mustard
2 tbsp Wildflower Honey
Fresh Ground Black Pepper and Sea Salt, to taste
- Position the rack in the middle of the oven, preheat convection oven to 350°F (180°C), gas mark 4.
- Prepare 2 sheets of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the red and golden beets separately.
- Coat beets with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, wrap tightly and place in the oven.
- Roast beets for 45-60 minutes or until tender and a knife passes through with little resistance in the thickest part.
- Cool beets, gently peel while still warm, sliced into wedges of quarters or eighths depending on the size.
- Combine arugula, fennel, basil, parsley, and mint in a large bowl, toss to combine, arrange on a large platter.
- Arrange beets and apples, top with lemon zest.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the mustard, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper, whisk to combine.
- Pour olive oil in a steady stream while whisking to emulsify vinaigrette, check seasoning.
- Generously spoon vinaigrette over salad, finish with salt and pepper, serve.
Recipe developed by Chef Jonathan Collins, The Kitchen Life
Chef Jonathan Collins
A passionate Chef and Father who loves to share his experiences in cuisine and life, Chef Jonathan Collins has cooked for presidents, prime ministers, billionaires, celebrities and even royalty! A graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, Jonathan has developed a signature style by blending North American, European and Asian influences with a French foundation and distinct Canadian identity, emphasizing fresh, local, seasonal ingredients.