Are you a fan of pulled pork but didn’t remember to put on your slow cooker in time? This rich recipe has extra flavour from red onion and Red Prince apple, and it’s ready in a fraction of the time when you use an Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Pulled Pork with Red Prince Apples and Onions
(Plus a Slow-Cooker Option)
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 large Red Prince apples apple, cored and cut into 12 slices
- 1 x (2 pound) pork tenderloin
- 1 tbsp butter or vegetable oil
- 1 jar of your favourite store-bought BBQ Sauce
Set your pot to SAUTE and add butter/oil and onion. Cook, stirring regularly about 3-5 minutes until onions are lightly caramelized.
Add apples and sauté for an additional minute. Add sauce and stir, then add pork on top.
Set on COOK MEAT for 20 minutes. When the time is up, let the steam naturally release for about 45 minutes, then carefully open your Instant Pot and remove the pork! Shred pork with two forks and then mix it back into the sauce.
We love this served as a sandwich on fresh buns, or alternatively over a bakred potato.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Add everything into your slow cooker, and let it cook for 6 hours on low. Caramelize the onions first on the stove-top in a little butter or oil, if you prefer.
Want to make your own BBQ Sauce instead? Mix these ingredients together and add them to your cooking pot.
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water (or apple juice/cider)
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Few drops hot sauce if desired, to suit personal preference