This one pot dinner is as tasty as it is beautiful. The flavours of the Red Prince apple, red cabbage, red onion and sausage blend to provide a wholesome meal that comes together easily.
This recipe was featured in The Sun! Read the article by Senior National Lifestyle and Food Editor, Rita DeMontis.
Red Skillet Dinner
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) neutral cooking oil
- 1 pound (454g) sausage (pork, turkey, meat-free)
- 2 Red Prince apples, cored and cut into eight slices
- 1 cup (250mL) red onion, sliced
- ½ head (4 to 5 cups) of red cabbage, sliced (remove core)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound (454g) mini yellow potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup (250mL) fresh apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tbsp (30mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) maple syrup
- ½ tbsp (7.5mL) mixed Italian seasoning
In a skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove sausages from the pot and transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium and add apples, cut side down. Evenly distribute onion and cabbage around apple slices. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stir occasionally. Turn apples once halfway through so that both sides are golden brown. Remove apples from the pot temporarily.
Return sausage and any juices to the pot. Add the potatoes. Add cider (or juice), vinegar, maple syrup and Italian seasoning. Place cooked apples on top. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to let simmer with the lid on for about 20 minutes. About halfway through, check and turn the ingredients to ensure they are evenly cooked.
Uncover and simmer to let some of the liquid evaporate, about 5 minutes. Enjoy while hot.