This savoury tart features Red Prince apples, caramelized onions and Gruyère cheese. Serve it with a light, garden salad to create a beautiful brunch or lunch you would be proud to share with loved ones.
Red Prince Apple and Caramelized Onion Tart
- 1 large tart shell (I used store bought)
- 1-2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup red onions, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1.5 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- Salt and pepper, season to taste
- 100 grams Gruyère cheese, shredded or finely chopped, separated
- 6/7 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 Red Prince apple, cored and finely sliced
Bake the tart shell as per the package instructions.
Alternatively blind bake your homemade tart shell.
Melt 1-2 tbsp of butter in a pan, add the onions and cook over medium-low heat until caramelized or lightly golden. Set aside.
In a bowl add the sour cream, whole grain mustard, salt and freshly cracked black peppercorns and whip it well. Add half of the cheese and mix well.
Gently add this filling into the baked tart shell and smooth the surface.
Gently add the caramelized onions, roughly chopped sage leaves and then arrange the apple slices in a circle to cover the surface of the tart.
Top it off with the leftover cheese and then bake it in a preheated oven at 400°F for 12-15 minutes or till the cheese has melted and become gooey and delicious!
Recipe developed by HungryGirlinToronto for RedPrinceApple.ca.